This is likely being caused by a connection issue or by something interfering with your connection to our video servers. Please follow the steps below to solve the issue so you can get back to doing what you do best!
First, please conduct a speed test on, for example www.speedtest.net/ . If your results are worse than the following recommendations, you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to upgrade your internet package.
Recommended Internet Speeds
Download: a minimum of 10mbps.
Upload: a minimum of 3mbps.
Ping is very variable, but ideally you’d want under 60.
If your speed test results are high, but you’re failing the Warm-up Screen or your speed test results are much lower than they should be, there must be interference between the computer you’re using and Vonage - the video provider service Cambly uses.
Here is how to use Vonage’s Help Center to fix this issue:
- Please go to tokbox.com/developer/tools/precall/ and conduct the test
- The green checkmarks, red crosses and error messages can help pinpoint the exact issue in your case. Sometimes, it's possible to click on a red cross and/or error message and get specific advice from Vonage themselves.
If you received all green ticks or don’t get success using Tokbox's Help Center, please run through the following checklist as thoroughly as you can:
- Please only use Chrome on a computer (no other browser, not the app, and not on a smartphone or tablet).
- Please restart your computer and router.
- Please make sure both Chrome and your OS are up-to-date and that recent updates have installed correctly.
- Please disable any unnecessary webcam software.
- Please disable all Chrome browser extensions.
- Run Cambly in an incognito window.
- While troubleshooting, perhaps try disabling all firewalls, anti-viruses, ad-blockers, VPNs, etc. that could be interfering. Seek professional advice if you have concerns about the security of your computer, home network, etc.
- Plug directly into your router using an Ethernet cable, rather than using Wi-Fi
- Make sure no scan or update is slowing your computer down.
- Please close all other programs, apps, and tabs while 'visible' to tutor.
- Make sure no other person (or program) is "hogging the bandwidth" as we say.
Running through each of those points carefully often solves this problem. If it doesn’t and if possible, please try connecting using a different computer on the same connection. If you still have problems even after using another computer, it's likely to be an ISP problem and our advice would be to contact them.
We really hope all that helps you solve your speed/interference issue! Happy tutoring!